St Michael & All Angels Church

Stained Glass Windows

Men's Group



 

Window in Chancel on East Wall (c. 1869)

a. Description: Christ in Majesty. The largest window in the church has three lights, the center light being of Christ with two angels at his feet. The right hand light is of St Peter with keys and two saints above him and the left light is of St Michael in amour with two angels above him The window was designed by C.E.Kempe. This is a large ashlar, three light perpendicular style East window with cusped ogee heads to lights.

b. Inscription: Remember ye in your prayers Gordon Pemberton Steer Captain Somerset Light Infantry, who was mortally wounded at Givenchy 25 November, 1915, aged 30.
East Window
Window in Chancel on South Wall (C15)

a. Description: This three light window is of Christ the Good Shepherd with St Stephen on the left and St Lawrence on the right. The window was designed by Heaton, Butler & Bayne.

b. Inscription: To the glory of God and in loving memory of Frederick William Ratarel, who died 2nd June 1903. His wife and children affectionately dedicate this window. R.I.P.
Chancel Window
Window in Nave near Font on South Wall (after 1945)

a. Description: The two light, flat headed window has curved heads to the lights. This is the most modern in the Church and shows on the left, Peter and Tabitha, a woman who was a disciple, full of good works. On the right Tabitha is shown talking with children. In the top corner of the right hand window is an outline of the iron works indicating the industrial heritage of Cwmbrân.

b. Inscription: dedicated to the Glory of God and in loving memory of Elizabeth Ann Evans born 4th April 1881 who died on 8th March 1945. Donated by her husband Joshua Thomas Evans who died 26th May 1950 aged 75 years.

Window Nr Font
Window in Nave near pulpit on South Wall (C15)

a. Description: This is a flat headed three light window with curved lights and renewed cusped ogee tracery. The design represents a scriptural scene with Mary, James and John, the Apostles. A fine quality window by C.E.Kempe 1901.

b. Inscription: Was given by Edward Steer, esq., in honour of god Incarnate and in loving memory of his wife Augusta Louisa, who was born April 3rd, 1854, and died Nov. 29th, 1899.

In the Nave on the South Wall, near the pulpit, there is also a small rectangular window (not with stained glass), lighting the rood loft.

Window Nr Pulpit
Window in Nave on North Wall, near organ and door to Rood Screen (C 16 or 17)

a. Description: This flat headed window has two lights each with curved head and depicts St Ambroise the healer on the left and Augustine on the right.

b. Inscription: “S’tus Ambroisius doctor eccl’ise” Remember ye in the Lord Henry Cromwell, fifteen years churchwarden of this parish, who died on the feast of St Peter the Apostle, 1901, in remembrance of whom this window is dedicated. A richly coloured window also by C.E.Kempe.

In the nave on the North Wall. there is a blocked small early window, possibly C 12 – 13 and also a two light window (not with stained glass)

Window Nr Organ